As the Florida Summer Heat gets more intense every day, we have to keep in mind that algae blooms are more aggressive in warmer summer months, so taking extra care of ponds and water gardens is critical during the summer in order to keep a balanced ecosystem and a healthy and beautiful pond!
Helpful tips for pond care during the summer
1. Adding oxygen to your pond by placing an Aeration System. Aeration is the most effective way to get rid of algae and significantly improve water quality and health of bodies of water. After the installation of an aeration system you could see the following results in just 90 days:
- Reduced Fish kills
Aerators are long-term investments – placing an aerator will save you money on pond treatments!
Aeration benefits include:
- Entire water column circulation
- Elimination of thermal stratification
- Increased dissolved oxygen levels that stimulate the natural aerobic digestion process thus reducing nutrient levels and associated with algal growth
- Elimination of oxygen related fish kills and expansion of the oxygenated habitat and ecosystem
- Reduction of mosquito and aquatic midge infestations
- Reduction of organic bottom sediment
- Preservation of a healthy aquatic ecosystem and an aesthetically pleasing aquascape through improved water quality
- Water nutrients, nitrogen and phosphorus (which grow algae) dramatically decrease
2. Do not overfeed your fish. Fish will create a lot more waste and this feeds algae
3. Add water plants such as waterlilies to your pond, to provide the fish with shade from the heat. This will cool the water and will help prevent algae blooms. Plants filter the water, which gives you better water quality. Aquatic plants will also make your pond more aesthetically pleasing
4. Make a Bio-Zyme treatment to your pond! Bio-Zyme is your safe, effective, and economical way to restore lakes and ponds to pristine, natural beauty. Bio-Zyme produces a clean water column that helps maintain a healthy, balanced aquatic ecosystem. It is not a chemical, our Bio-Zyme products are formulated with natural bacteria. Bio-Zyme also contains sludge-digesting bacteria, which, when used as directed will eliminate excess bottom sludge, and stop the severe rotten egg smell that comes with anaerobic sludge.
Let us help you!
Laura Parkel, M.S
Aquatic Environmental Scientist